Kenya e-Visa Application Process - Entry Requirements and More
Unless you are from these countries (lucky fellas), you need a valid visa to travel to Kenya and be granted entry. The good news is that in 2015 the republic of Kenya launched a new visa application system that allows you to apply for your Kenya visa online. So, yes, no more queues at the airport, and the best part is that it only takes at least 2 official business days to get your Kenyan e-visa!
So, how, where, and when can you apply for a Kenyan e-visa? This guide was created to get you up to speed on the Kenya visa application process and requirements.
Ready? Let’s dive into it.
First… What is an e-visa?
A Kenyan e-visa, also known as an electronic visa, is an authorization document that grants visitors passage through any Kenyan entry point. Immigration services primarily issue the document online in PDF format.
The electronic visa must be presented to an immigration officer at any point of entry for authentication.
Are you Eligible for an E-visa?
Whether or not you are eligible for a Kenya visa depends on which country you come from.
Visitors entering the Republic of Kenya are categorized into 3.
Category 1- Individuals/ nationals exempt from needing a visa to gain access to Kenya
Category 2- nationals/ persons issued with visas on application
Category 3- Nationals/ individuals who need referred visas.
Here’s where to check if you come from one of the eligible countries exempted from needing an e-visa to enter Kenya.
A category 2 single-entry visa is valid for 3 months from the issuance Date.
A category 3 single-entry visa is valid for 1 month from the issuance date.
A multiple-entry visa is valid for 3 to 12 months from the issuance date.
A 5-year multiple-entry visa has a validity period of 5 years from when it is issued.
An East Africa tourist visa is valid for 3 months from the date of issuance.
Our Kenya Travel Packages – Explore Kenya with the Local Experts of Travel
Kenya Visa Application Process: How to apply for an e-visa online
Here’s a quick 6-step process of how to apply online for an e-visa.
- Begin by creating an e-citizen account
- Select e-visa application
- Fill in the application form
- Make payment using your visa card, Mastercard, and/ or any other credit or debit cards.
- Await approval then proceed to download and print the e-visa from your account.
- Last but key, is the presentation of your Kenya e-visa to the immigration officer at the point of entry.
Here are a few points to note
- The visa fee, once paid, is non-refundable
- Incomplete applications will not be accepted
- Presentation of the printed evisa at the entry point is mandatory.
- It takes the Kenyan government at least two official business days to process your evisa
- It takes only 5-10 minutes to complete visa applications online
- Travelers who are under the age of 16 only need to present a valid passport when traveling to the Republic of Kenya.
- Children under the age of 15 must travel with their parents
How Much Does a Kenya E-visa Cost
The following is a detailed price breakdown of the Kenya e-visa cost.
Single entry visa- £41.15
Transit visa- £16.94
Courtesy visa- Gratis
Multiple-entry visa (6- 12 months)- £81.49
Referred visa- £41.14
East Africa tourist visa- £81.49
*All evisa online applications attract £0.81 service charge and card handling fee.
Kenya e-visa Requirements
Those who wish to apply for their Kenyan visa must meet the following requirements.
- They must be in possession of a valid passport with at least 2 blank pages
- Their passports must be valid for at least six months from their arrival date
Other documents required include;
-An application photograph (must be taken on a white background)
-Some nationals require a Yellow fever vaccine certificate
However, depending on which visa you are applying for, additional documents might be required. Here’s a run-down of each visa and its individual requirements.
Kenya Transit Visa
A Kenya transit visa is a type of short-term visa that is granted to any persons connecting through Kenya to other countries when traveling via flight. This period of transit should last no more than 72 hours.
Foreigners in possession of a transit visa can leave the airport and tour Kenya for 3 days.
Transit Visa Requirements
As well as meet the basic Kenya visa requirements, all travelers looking to apply for transit visas must;
- have an onward ticket/ return air ticket
- show the intention of not wanting to stay for more than 72 hours, otherwise, they’ll need to apply for a tourist visa which is valid for 90 days.
Kenya Single Entry Visa
Kenya Single Entry Visa is a temporary one-time pass that allows entry into Kenya for a specific purpose (tourism, business visits, leisure).
Attachments depending on the purpose of the visit are as follows;
- Hotel bookings confirmations (for tourists)
- An onward ticket showing the flight number and the date and place of arrival and departure
For Business Visits
- An invitation letter from the company stating the reason for the invitation to Kenya
- A copy of the ID of the person whose signature is on the invitation letter
- Copy of the registration certificate of the company
P.S: It is a crime to conduct any business in Kenya, whether volunteer or on a self-employed basis, without the requisite permit (work permit).
For Family Visits
- Invitation letter from friends/family
- ID/ entry permit/ passport of the host.
For those entering Kenya for medical reasons
- A referral letter from the referring doctor/ hospital
- Appointment letter from receiving doctor
Kenya Courtesy Visa
A courtesy visa is a visa granted to dignitaries and highly respected members of society who have been invited to visit the republic of Kenya.
The visa is typically issued for a period of at least 15 days up to a maximum of 6 months.
Kenya Courtesy Visa Requirements
Requirements of a Kenyan courtesy visa include;
- An official travel document valid for at least six months
- A diplomatic passport (applicant must be an official who belongs to a service)
- An official letter from the country of origin or foreign affairs
- A colored passport-sized photograph taken within the last six months
Kenya East African Tourist Visa
The East African Tourist Visa is a multiple-entry visa that allows eligible citizens of participating countries to move freely within the East African Community (Kenya, Rwanda, and Uganda).
You can transit through other countries in the EAC as long as your main purpose is tourism.
To apply online for the visa one needs to submit their EATV Form 1 to immigration services online.
Documents needed for the visa applications include;
- a passport-sized photograph (clear, with no sunglasses)
- an application form
- a letter of visa application addressed to the issuing authorities in any of the three countries.
How to verify your e-visa
To verify your e-visa, log in to your ecitizen account, select eVisa application service, key in your application number and click on search.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does a Kenya eVisa take?
It usually takes on an average of 2-3 business days to process a Kenyan eVisa. The process, however, can be longer when and if incomplete applications are made so make sure to read the instructions carefully.
When should I apply for my visa for Kenya online?
Your Kenya evisa should be applied for 3-5 days before you schedule your flight to Kenya. It is advisable to apply for a visa well in advance of the planned travel date, as this gives applicants enough time to resolve any issues before their departure.
How long is a Kenya E-visa good for?
Those in possession of single-entry and multiple-entry e-visas can stay in the country for up to 90 days.
Do I need a visa to visit Kenya?
Yes, all foreign nationals must have a valid passport and visa to enter Kenya. Citizens of certain countries can stay in the country for up to 30 days without a visa, provided they have no intention of working or conducting business while in Kenya.
Can I get a Kenya visa on arrival?
No, Kenya does not offer visa on arrival. All travelers must obtain an eVisa before their arrival in Kenya.
How do I apply for a visa to Kenya from the UK?
Here is how to apply for a visa for Kenya.
- Go to www.ecitizen.go.ke and click create an account.
- Click on the e-Visa application
- Fill out the visa application form and submit the application
- Pay using Mastercard, Visa Card, and any other credit or debit cards
- After you get approval, simply log into your e-citizen account and download the visa to print.
- At the port of entry, present your printed e-Visa to the immigration officer.
Are there COVID-19-related Entry Requirements for US Citizens wanting to travel to Kenya?
Yes, for one, a negative PCR test is required and must be taken no more than 96 hours before travel. Aside from needing to show proof of this test, travelers will also need to take other health precautions – such as wearing masks – in order to help minimize the spread of the virus amongst international travelers. It’s important for travelers who are visiting Kenya to understand that these restrictions are in place in order to ensure their own safety and the safety of those around them – but they don’t have to stop them from seeing close friends and family or enjoying beautiful Kenya.
Does e-visa get rejected?
Yes, it is possible for an e-visa to get rejected. Reasons for rejection might include incomplete applications, incorrect documentation or the applicant not meeting the eligibility requirements set by the government. It is important for applicants to make sure that they provide accurate and complete information when applying for an e-visa.
Can I get a refund if my e-visa is rejected?
No, you will not be able to get a refund if your e-visa application is rejected. If you have any doubts or concerns about the accuracy of the information provided in your application, it is best to contact the Kenyan embassy in your country of residence before submitting your application.
Do I need a Yellow Fever Vaccination Certificate to enter Kenya?
Yes, if you are traveling to or from any country that is at risk of yellow fever transmission, you must have a valid Yellow Fever Vaccination Certificate. Other vaccination certificates may be required depending on the country you are coming from or going to.